You may want to move a contact to a different account because:
The contact was created on the wrong account
First, let's see how much information is on the contact, and if the contact has any events.
- If there is little information and no tasks or events, it would be quicker to simply recreate the contact on the correct account and then inactivate the one on the wrong account. Please see Inactivate Accounts and Contacts.
If the contact has a large amount of information or associated tasks or events, then it is better to use the Merge feature. This method will move the associated tasks and events from the original contact to the new contact.If a contact has been added to an event, that event will be associated with the new account via the contact. If this will be a problem, instead use the directions for when a contact has changed companies.
To move the contact to the correct account:
- On the correct account, create a new contact. You only need to add the contact's name.
- On the new contact, click the more_vert more info icon in the upper-right corner.
- Click Merge Contact.
- Search for the original contact and select it.
- Make sure all information is correctly selected and click Save.
For step-by-step instructions with screenshots, please see Merge Duplicate Contacts.
The contact has changed companies
Any events a contact has been added to are also associated with the contact's account (see the contact's Events tab to check). Thus, if you move the contact to a new account, the contact's events will be associated with the new account. This may result in inaccurate or misleading event data.
Because of this, we recommend creating a new contact on their new account instead of moving the old contact. The process below will walk you through doing this in a way which records the history of the contact.
- Create a new contact on the new account.
- Manually copy over any relevant information from their old contact.
- In the bio of the contact on the new account, add a note that the contact moved from [Old Company] to [New Company] on [date]. If you wish, you can link to the old contact.
- In the bio of the contact on the original account, add a note that the contact moved from [Old Company] to [New Company] on [date], and link to the new contact if you wish. Inactivate the original contact.
For more information: