Permissions needed: Accounts & Contacts Edit
The tax-exempt status of an event is controlled by the tax-exempt status of its contracting account. Even if taxes are applied in the price schedule, the taxes selected on the account will not be charged on any item or rental charges.
To mark an account as tax-exempt:
- Go to the account's details page.
- Click the edit pencil icon by General Information to open the Edit Info slider.
- In the slider, find and check Tax-Exempt.
- The Exempt Taxes field will appear, and all taxes will be selected by default. If there are certain taxes that this account should still pay, click in the field and select only the taxes the account should not pay. In the example pictured, all clients must pay an alcohol tax, so that tax is not selected.
If a new tax is added in the future, any accounts with Tax-Exempt checked and All Taxes selected will be exempt from the new tax as well. If the account only has specific taxes checked, it will not be exempt from new taxes added.
- Click Save.
- This account's events will not be charged the selected taxes, or not be charged any taxes if All Taxes was selected.
The account will also be labeled as tax-exempt on the event details page and the event summary slider.
On the event details page
On the event summary slider
If an event had taxes applied in error, first mark the account as tax-exempt and then refresh the price schedule (instructions at Update an Event After Changes to a Price Schedule). The taxes will then be removed from the event. At the same time, though, all costs and prices will be re-imported from the price schedule; you may wish to screenshot the pricing before you refresh the price schedule so you can fix any pricing which was changed.