Permissions needed: Accounts & Contacts Edit
If you find that you have created a contact more than once, you may merge the duplicates instead of inactivating them. By merging the contacts, any events or tasks associated with either contact will be kept.
We also use the Merge Contacts function to move a contact to a different account. See Move a Contact to a Different Account for more information.
Merge Duplicate Contacts
- All contact groups that either contact is a member of will be retained.
- When merging contacts that are in hierarchies, it is important to keep certain merging rules in mind.
- All contacts that report to either of the contacts will report to the resulting contact.
- The resulting contact will keep the manager of the "primary" contact of the merge (the contact whose details page you are starting the merge from). If the primary contact does not report to anyone, neither will the resulting contact, even if the other does report to someone.
- Go to the details page of the primary contact. (This contact's Account and manager will be retained by the resulting contact.)
- Click the more_vert menu icon in the upper-right corner.
- Click Merge Contact.
- In the Merge Contact slider, search for and select the duplicate contact. The contacts' accounts will be listed to help you find the correct one.
- Once the other contact is selected, you will be able to select which information you would like to keep from each contact. The information you can select is:
The salutation (if added) and the name field will display. If the contents of the First Name and Last Name fields are different from the contents of the Name field, the name will display as
[Salutation] [First Name] [Last Name] ([Name]).
- Which emails, phone numbers, and addresses to include. The first one you check will automatically be set as the primary, but you can also click Set Primary next to a different checked entry to give it that label.
- Once you've made your selections, click Save.
- Confirm that you want to merge the contacts.